My escape from Watchtower bondage was a little over one year ago!

My escape from Watchtower bondage was a little over one year ago!

I had intended on posting this on the one year anniversary of my judicial committee meeting with the Jehovah’s Witness elders on September 5, 2012. But I’m late! It is October 7, 2013 and only now has the article been finished. Why is that? Well it is because I had a very lengthy transcription to complete, and just now it is done. It took me several weeks to accomplish this task, one that many people have been asking me to do for months. That’s right- the entire conversation the four of us had during my three hour judicial committee meeting has been typed up. It is about 29,000 words, some 79 typed pages.
What finally got me moving was an awakened brother from Brazil who messaged me and said,

“I just want to thank you for your courage to record your judicial committee. That was really shocking to see how they treated you. My wife also wants to thank you because, as she said, we would never believe this story if someone just told us. Thank you! You helped save our lives and our marriage!
My wife is waiting for the elders to call on her. She’s missing meetings for a month now. We believe they are consulting their spies my now. Because of your work, we learned to do it the right way. We are going to record it as well, and we are going to ask the right questions. No ‘debate’, as they say.
Would you consider transcribing your judicial committee? My wife was willing to translate and post your video with subtitles in our language. There are 750 thousand JWs in Brazil who would die to see this judicial committee. My brother-in-law wants to see it, but he can’t understand English.”

How could I say no to this? I have also had offers from others to translate the tribunal into Polish and Spanish as well. Since the videos of my “Apostasy Trial” were posted in late September of 2012 the series has been viewed over 60,000 times. The feedback and thanks I’ve received has been overwhelming. I had written one article about this several months ago entitled, “Feedback on my Judicial Meeting” but I would like to include a few of the new ones that have come in:

——————————————————————————————————–
Alfonso GUTIÉRREZ via YouTube on 4/10/2013
Brother you’re really a disciple of Christ. What a loving prayer you said in behalf of those brothers blinded by the unscriptural policy of the WT. Eric, my brother, you will certainly be blessed by our loving father Jehovah when our Lord Jesus’ kingdom take over human affairs.
——————————————————————————————————–
From: Sunshine Sky via YouTube, on 8/21/2013
Jwstruggle, this is the video that woke me up. I knew that I was being disobedient by watching it, but by the end of all of them… I just felt like my chains where falling apart, and my guilt was no longer there.
——————————————————————————————————–
From: Dave Tony via YouTube, on 6/21/2013
As I watched this video I burst into tears because I felt those Elders hearts and that they were genuinely concerned yet so lost and blinded!! My heart really goes out to them….. Your bravery is inspirational because I haven’t had the courage to do what you did.
——————————————————————————————————–
From: luomio via YouTube, on 6/2/2013
I was disfellowshipped from the Mormon church while “on my mission”, as Mormons say. Looking back I realize how insignificant those who disfellowshipped me and the organization are. I do enjoy letting them know how I feel though. I’m waiting for the right moment to officially resign from the church. Great videos.
——————————————————————————————————–
pebbles6085 via YT on 5/09/2013
My family and I still worship Jehovah. However, we no longer go by the teachings of the Watchtower or their organization. We have never been happier and JEHOVAH still answers our prayers. Thank you for sharing your video. God Bless you always Brother.
——————————————————————————————————–
Michael Atkinson via YT on 4/26/2013
These were the most revealing and touching 6 videos I’ve seen. There were moments when I was literally cheering after some of the points you made, because I could tell that The Holy Spirit was working in you. I am hoping one day my mother will listen to me, and leave the WT, and learn the real truth that’s in the Bible. Until then, all I can do is pray for her and all the Witnesses who are lost. I will also pray that people like you keep speaking the truth w/ love like you did. So inspiring!!
——————————————————————————————————–

transcript

The introductory page of the transcript.

It is appropriate then that on this one year (and a month!) anniversary of my judicial trial that the transcript be made available for any that wishes to read it here on PDF.

Rating 4.41 out of 5
[?]

31 Comments on One year since my Judicial Committee with JW elders

1. nolongerafraid says:

JJ, thanks for all of your hard work writing that up–wow! Will be a nice reference to have if I need a good reminder of why I don’t want to go back!! Loved your videos and thanks again for sharing your journey.

2. JJ says:

You are very welcome NLA.

If even one person is rescued from religious bondage because of it then that makes it worth it.

3. suavojr says:

Thank you very much for your hard work Eric.
    God bless you and your loved ones!

4. frank says:

This is ridiculous. EricB… you’re so dodgy and you don’t answer questions straight up. you sound like a whiny little teenager crying “it’s not fair, nobody understands me”

• Marvel says:

…when your in a kangaroo style court and you have 3 people who are there to spirtually execute you…sometimes your answers to thier interogation may not come out as well as you may want them to. But considering the situation Eric actually did a Good Job.

Marvel

• JJ says:

Frank

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I’m glad that I went up against the Watchtower machinery and faced these men on their own turf.

I let my light shine and for that I’m thankful. I am also edified knowing that many thousands of folks have watched and benefited by this unvarnished story of what happened to me.

• norwalltino says:

Hi Eric, I’ve just watched your 6 videos of Apostasy Trial. I’m so impressed! You are really a brave, smart, intelligent and a loving person and you did talk the best way possible with Gods Spirit active in you. It’s amazing to observe how powerful your speech filled the room of execution. You treated those men in a polite and respectful way, even they didn’t deserve it, regarding how they treated you. I’ve been married to a lovely JW woman for 10 years, never attended fully the Watchtower, but followed her, so I have rather much knowledge about the whole thing. I have tried to show her Christ in the Bible, but I have not succeeded yet…I think it is nearly an impossible mission, but I know it’s not impossible. Thanks so much Eric for your sharing. It can help thousands of people and you have encouraged me to hold on to Christ in every challenge ahead of me. Thanks again!

5. Frank says:

Hi JJ. I’m still monitoring, but not commenting. I just think you should all know that this Frank is not me. I wondered whether this was JJ’s attitude, but anyone who listens to the recordings will know that Eric only had good intentions in mind. A gift to the struggling.

And “Frank,” buy an initial for your surname. I was here first.

Original Frank

6. JJ says:

Hello Sunset you are new here and everyone’s opinion is welcomed. Some questions I wonder about:

1. Why the personal attack on me? What did I do to you?

2. Can you explain what you mean about Satan being so happy?

3. If someone posted attacks and annoying comments about you on your own blog what would you do?

• JimmyG says:

Hi JJ. Sunset has graced us with his/her presence before. I thought the sun had set on her/him posting on this site. Of course Sunset knows the GB and especially the local elders would be very interested in Sunset’s illegal activities on ‘apostate’ websites/

7. Wakeupwitness says:

Every JW needs to watch those Judicial Committee Meeting videos, when they do they will truly wake up.

8. oldgreg says:

Sunset, everyone here is at peace. We all struggle to make it in this world. Jehovah is such a loving God and the main quality of his is love. It doesnt make sense for you to spew hatred against JJ when you dont even know him. Can you imagine if the elders found out you were posting here sunset?
    Thank you JJ for all your great work!

9. JJ says:

“We also refuse to add our comments to their blogs.”
    (The Watchtower, July 15, 2011 p. 16, quote condensed for brevity)

10. Christian Sparlock Freedom (Facebook) says:

Way to go Eric . Your efforts are appreciated by many.
    Your attitude and accurate description of JWs scandalous
    behavior Prove Watchtower leadership are liars .

Watchtower leadership slanders its critics with blatant
    dishonesty .

11. Kristen says:

Really appreciate your courage & clearly articulated & researched arguments & the time you’ve put into helping others see the truth. Also feel love for those poor blinded brothers & just hope they google.

12. Rupunzelsawake says:

Wow JJ!! What a mammoth effort that was! 79 pages! I’m sure it will be easier now for others to translate into other languages. How wonderful to get such supportive and grateful comments….Hey, you even helped someone save their marriage!! Well, I tell you, since my exiting the WT, my marriage has been way better….I even got a new ring, remember! I appreciate my husband so much more now. He has been a rock!

13. Pearl Doxsey says:

Watched all your videos. Thanks for having the courage to expose a fine example of the movement affecting so many. I find it exciting that prophecy moves forward. I can’t wait until the meaning of what this exemplifies, finally dawns on everyone…that the WT is the Wild Beast of Rev.13 (and the L/S of Rev.9), and that the second beast of Rev.13:11 is the GB and the harlot of Rev.17 and 18.
    A review of these chapters will promote a truth that fits like a glove. Keep waking up everyone!…flee the City (Matt.24:15,16; 22:8,9; Rev.18:4) and enter the marriage feast (Rev.19:9).

• JJ says:

Thanks for your insights Pearl and your kind words.

I have heard this belief before, that the WT is somehow fulfilling Bible prophecy as “the man of lawlessness”, or the wild beast, but I just personally do not feel that a man-made 19th century sect called Watchtower would be so important that it is pinpointed in the book of Revelation written some 1700 years prior to its formation by Russell.

Fleeing false belief systems is always a good idea and unfortunately the world is full of fundamentalist groups that we need to steer clear of!

14. Pkhrull says:

Eric (JJ),
    I was thinking that if I was called into a committee meeting that I would print out 3 copies of your meeting and give one to each of the elders and say: “brothers here is how this meeting will go. Please read this thru for exactly how I feel about this organization. Wherever you see “Eric B” place my name there.” Then walk out smiling and go back to my family. LOL…shortest…elders…meeting…ever!

15. Excelsior says:

JJ, I read the full transcript of your judicial committee aka kangaroo court.

Thought you might like to know that star chamber is a British term. It applies to a room in the cabinet offices in Whitehall. A room there has stars on the ceiling.

Most importantly, I would like to express my sincere sorrow for what you went through and still going through.

You are a very decent man and I commend you for your courage and honesty. I am so sorry that breaking free from the WTBTS has had such a great cost to you.

I am no longer a believer, but I can’t prove there isn’t a God. So, if there is, then I am certain that he is so very proud of the work that you do.

I hope that you can have a good relationship with your children, and that your marital problems work out for you.

Peace be with you

Excelsior!

16. Isaac Carmignani says:

Eric, this is awesome! I refused to attend my apostasy JC and just wrote a letter. But I’m so glad you had the ability and courage to do so. Good luck!

• JJ says:

Thanks Isaac. What happens in these kangaroo courts needs to be given the light of day and a transparent venue to protect innocent people. The last thing the Watchtower’s Faithful and Discreet Governing Body wants is the light shined on their policies- they prefer darkness and secrecy.

17. Frank says:

Hi Isaac. I can understand the reasons why many would not want to suffer the indignity and pointlessness of attending their own JC, but I would like to put a call out to those who feel their heads are on the chopping block to think carefully about making a permanent audio of their ordeal. The Net needs more information about possible methods used in the McCartyistic system that is set up to remove even perceived “enemies of the state.”

Frank

18. danielB says:

Frank ,

Why don’t you just spell out exactly what you just said to Isaac . Maybe he doesn’t know the McCarthyistic history . Maybe no one else here reading this cares much about McCarthy . We could talk about true Theocracy here , rather than American politics , and bring things back on track to subjects like Brotherhood in Christ . We cannot use the political world around us to influence a bias regarding our faith in Christ . Sheeeee! Give Isaac a break !!!

Isaac,

I sort of left the organization like you did . -just sorta split ! The way I see it for us Christians in Christ is that everything works out . Isn’t that what happens ? Things always work out .

“..the tested quality of your faith works out endurance” -Ja 1:3

And everything works out for the good of those who love God .

Right ?

19. Frank says:

I sense hostility in you, Daniel. Anyone can consult the Internet about Senator Joe McCarthy and his UnAmerican trials of the ’50s, or watch Invasion of the Body Snatchers, a film that was made to raise the consciousness of trials where human rights were being violated in favour of fear of “Reds under the bed.” Many innocents suffered irreparably.

We should ALL be made aware of unconstitutional violations, and American in particular. The problem is that the First Amendment protects religion and turns a blind eye to such violations.

When people say JWs are ‘better off out of the Organisation’ they are speaking without understanding of the social shunning ramifications for the victims of this McCarthyistic system.

The word ‘theocracy’ didn’t come about until Josephus’ time (he made it up). JF Rutherford coined it in 1938 for JWs, so I don’t know why you’re even using the term.

I wasn’t blaming Isaac (read my comment again); all I’m saying is that we need more transcripts and recordings on the Internet. If we have any hope of raising the free world’s consciousness it won’t be just by making unsubstantiated claims. Today, there are so-called Holocaust Deniers who, despite seeing reams of film documentation, have some power over the human mind and history is in danger of repeating itself.

Frank

20. danielB says:

You misunderstand me Frank . There is no hostile way in what I said or feel . I used this word theocracy because people at this site understand it to mean God’s way of ruling his chosen people on Earth . You didn’t know why I used that word ? That’s why . Actually I didn’t see any specific “blame” that you put upon Isaac either .

It’s OK . We both clarified . It’s difficult to know exactly what is meant in textual communications such as this , by comparison to speaking face-to-face .

I apologize for any misunderstandings that I may have caused you .

Thank you for the point on McCarty . It’s well-taken . And you clarified .

bro dan

21. Frank says:

No problem Daniel

22. Steve G says:

Thank you so much for doing this. These videos and transcript will continue to help many people around the world. The damage that has been caused by this organization is overwhelming yet the attitude from them is always the same. “We are just trying to be good people”. So passive! It makes me nuts.

23. Sunamber says:

Thanks JJ for this website and the videos. Your courage to take the stand that you have has truly helped so many of us ! God Bless you Brother !

24. norwalltino says: